How does SkinPen Microneedling work?
SkinPen is the worlds first FDA-cleared, Micro-Mechanical, Skin Remodelling device. Offering an advanced medical grade skin treatment using stainless steel needles to create a wound healing response to the skin, stimulating the production of collagen. SkinPen is the perfect option to treat a wide variety of skin concerns by stimulating the skin to naturally heal itself.
As we age and battle skin conditions, the natural architecture of our skin deteriorates. Collagen induction therapy, also known as microneedling, is a great way to address these signs of aging at the cellular level as well as being clinically proven to reduce pigmentation, scarring, stretch marks and large pores.
- Phase 1 Inflammation: Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to cleanse the wound, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase 2 Proliferation: The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase 3 Remodelling: The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
Treatment time is about an hour (inc 20-30 minutes for a numbing cream to take effect) and spaced atleast 6 weeks apart. 3-4 treatments are required for best results and up to 6 treatments for more severe scarring and stretch marks. For anti-aging 1-2 treatments a year.
Benefits of SkinPen Microneedling
- Treats acne scarring, scarring, stretch marks, fine lines & wrinkles, pigmentation conditions such as melasma, vitiligo and solar lentigines. It can also reduce the appearance of large pores.
- Not limited to just the face and is safe for all skin types.
- Minimally invasive procedure and healing continues after the procedure is over. Results are seen within days, weeks and even months.
- 6 months prior - avoid Accutane 6 months prior.
- 14 days prior - avoid IPL/Laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure or sunburn.
- 7 days prior - avoid the use of topical agents that may increase sensitivity of skin: retinoids, topical antibiotics, exfoliants, acids that may be drying or irritating to the skin (such as alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) beta hydroxyl acids (BHA), exfoliating masks, salicylic acids, hydroquinone, and benzoyl peroxide acne products).
- 7 days prior - No waxing, depilatory creams or electrolysis in the treatment area.
- 7 days prior - Avoid blood-thinning agents (aspirin, fish oil, Omega-3, Vitamin E)
- 3 days prior - do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil. These agents will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation.
- Shaving - No shaving the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there is dense hair present in the treatment area, closely shave the area the day before you arrive to your appointment.
- Use the Lift HG Gel the day of treatment, followed by the Rescue Calming Complex 24hrs post treatment until empty.
- Keep out of the sun the day of treatment and the following 24hrs.
- Use a clean pillowcase and towel.
- Use a gentle cleanser & gently pat dry the treated area 48hrs post treatment and up to 72hrs. At this point, resume the use of a minimum SPF30+.
- Touch the skin unnecessarily post treatment, to avoid post treatment infection.
- Apply any makeup or product Inc. any harsh perfumed, astringent, AHA or alcohol containing products for 24-48hrs post treatment.
- Engage in any heavy exercise sessions for 24-48hrs post treatment.
- Shave or use any after-shave type products over the treated area for 24-48hrs post treatment.
- Go swimming or in chlorinated water for 4-5 days’ post treatment.
- Have any other clinical treatments 1-4 weeks post treatment.
- Allow any pets to lick the treated area as this is likely to lead to major infection.
What to expect post treatment
Day 1 – Mild to moderate redness & swelling, similar to a sunburn.
Day 2 – Some persistent redness & swelling may be present.
Day 3 – Most redness, bruising & swelling almost gone.
Day 4 – Skin should return to normal appearance without makeup.